Saturday, December 29, 2007

Across the Universe


So I took Dom boy to see Across the Universe. I thought it was something a bit cool and idie that we could do together that would totally up my cool-older-sister points. Not that I don't have enough. I have tons. Millions.

The Plot: Is NOT about the Beatles, as I thought (and told my brother). Both of us waited with bated breath for the band to form, but it never did. It's actually just about this English sex god (not really, he's a dock worker... but he's my new hero... and as I have excellent taste, you all should look out for him in the future) Jude, (aka Jim Sturgess aka not really famous yet but will be in the Other Boleyn Girl) who goes to America in the 60s-70s to find his long lost daddy. In England he meets Max, (aka Joe Anderson, aka cute in the David Spade way, aka friend of James since he's also in becoming Jane) who becomes his new bff. Joe has a hot sister (Evan Rachel Wood, aka Marilyn Manson's girlfriend... that's as far as I 'll go with her) whose boyfriend is away at war and it all gets very political and complicated, all you need to know is that it's a love story and there is not a Beatle to be seen.


The Good: The men are pretty hot. Men that sing and wanna hold your hand = <3
[edit: Ok so I don't know why it erased everything else good I had :( But I also said that the sound track was so amazing that I would buy it despite only buying about 5 CDs a year. And I did buy it. I'm listening to it now. The effects and cinematography are awesome, especially if you are a film student but even if you aren't, even if you have no artistic inkling whatsoever I think you could still enjoy it. Finally, I adored this chick TV Sharpio aka not famous at all but look out for her...]

Maybe because she looks like Claudia from the Babysitters Club? Actually, more because of this.


The Bad: I wasn't very into the whole Sadie plot, their landlord who is a singer and is seeing another roommate of theirs who moved there from Detroit after some really adorable little black kid got shot. Anyway, it was ok but I found it distracting and had too much attention so it got tiresome, especially since it wasn't like about anyone's real lives so it's not like they were impossible to leave out/give less songs to. Yea, a lot of the plot got a bit schizo and random, but I assume that was the drugs that were probably censored out of the Singapore version.

The Ugly: Evan Rachel Wood's nose and acting. I could forgive either if the other wasn't there. Actually, it wasn't her nose, there was just something about her face being a little too horse-ish... I had remembered her as being very delicate and waif-like, but she seemed a little course in this, much too course to be a muse. And her acting... I mean it wasn't awful, but it was pretty awful actually. Ummm she just got a little melodramatic and teeny boppery.

Other things to look out for: Great cameos from Bono as some kind of insane hippy (hippie?) that I was convinced was Robin Williams circa August Rush, and also from Selma Hayek as the hot nurse.


Yay or nay? Umm, I'd say yay if you're into (old) music and a hot English man or if you are particularly into arty film effects (I have a neighbour who would probably adore all the animation-y parts). If you are in a mellow mood, maybe when it's raining. Also yay if you like Evan Rachel Wood coz her boobs are all over the place. Nay if you are looking for something with lots of action and or humour and or horror and or any genre stuff basically.

PS. Here's another thing: When they did 'a little help from my friends', I couldn't stop thinking of the Wonder Years. And when they did 'All you need is love' I had a terrible montage of Moulin Rouge and Love Actually that wouldn't leave my head.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello! i have you booked for the 8th and 9th yes? wha't syour number so i can call you when i get back.

nick

 

free hit counter
Crutchfield Electronics