Wednesday, April 8, 2009

What's for Dinz?


Lemon-thyme-garlic chicken and mashed cauliflower.

(I didn't take a picture, but it's not like it would be a good picture anyway.)

Now you know what I needed my cauliflower for. Mashed cauliflower sounds weird, but I was inspired by one of the Food Network Chefs who said it was a great substitute for mashed potatoes. No carb, ya know? I want to say it was Bobby Flay, but I don't really know, I was far away and I can't find the recipe on foodnetwork.com, so no clues there. I had to wing it, only knowing that I was meant to boil the cauliflower in milk for 20 minutes.

So here you go:
(serves 2)

Cauliflower:

1 head of cauliflower, cut into fleurettes
2 cups of milk
2 cups of water
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp crushed rosemary
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp parmesan
salt n pepper

Bring the milk, water and nutmeg to a boil. Simmer the cauliflower for 20 minutes. Strain it, leaving a little of the liquid behind. Stir in the butter, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper in, and mash it all together. It'll be a little soppy, so return to the heat, stirring until it's your desired consistency. Top with parmesan and stir.

Chicken:

2 boneless chicken thighs / breasts
2 tsp thyme
Juice of half a lemon
2 tbsp olive oil
salt n pepper

Marinate the chicken in all the ingredients over night. Pan fry the chicken for around 5 min on each side. (Mine took a lot longer because it wasn't totally thawed yet, so that was a guesstimate... I might be wrong)

Ta da!

No comments:

 

free hit counter
Crutchfield Electronics