Sunday, February 3, 2008

Juno

Lazy Sunday so I thought I would play catch up with my film reviewythings.

Loved Juno, but I'm biased. Here's a little background that may bore you but is pertinent to my life. Sort of.

Juno was produced by Mandate, which was one of my first internships here in LA. Seeing the beginning credits and actually recognising the producers as people I've met was a big thrill. Anyhoo, it was one of the first scripts I'd ever read and was definately one of the first that I loved. (I think Mr Magorium was first, Romel and I both pronounced it 'shit' but in nicer terms I'm sure, and then felt really stupid when we were told that it was in production with Natalie Portman and Dustin Hoffman. But then i think it did badly at box office so baha.) And even though I had absolutely nothing to do with the film in any way at all, I was completely emotionally attached to it.

Anyway, back to it.

Plot (I've decided this logline is entirely too long to be a log line): Juno (Ellen Page, aka creepy Hard Candy girl aka X Men 3 aka Homeless to Harvard Thora Birch when she was little aka Not Hayden Panetierre even though she was in the casting folder) is 'bored' one night and does her friend-boy Paulie (Michael Cera aka George Michael aka Superbad) in some beat up arm chair. Then she gets preggers but can't go through with the abortion so decides to put it up for adoption, and dream yuppie couple Vanessa (Jennifer Garner) and Mark (Jason Batemen aka Michael Bluth) want it. Cool. Or Wizard, if you are feeling Paulie-ish.

The Good: Everything. Haha. Okay okay, dialogue. Acting. Comedic timing. Set design (Juno's room/house and the cafeteria were both pretty great.... that might seem random). I particularly loved her best friend (Olivia Thirlby aka reallu not famous) and how she was all into old men teachers. George Michael putting deoderant on his thighs was pretty great too. The soundtrack, to the point where I bought it. Except really its the song they sing at the end that I really like, and had a dream about last night. ("Here is the church and here is the steeple, we sure are cute for two ugly people. I don't see what anyone can see in anyone else but you.")

The Bad: When Mark gets creepy. I also did not think her parents being so chill was very believable, but it was funny. Rekha complained that she thought Juno was too witty and that no one could really have such clever things to say all the effing time, but I disagree because her retorts weren't that great, she just sort of stares and says awks things...

Oh also I guess it's kind of bad that George Michael doesn't really act. As funny as he is he plays the same thing in everything (charming in an outrageously awkward way). And really, how long can that last? Is he going to be awkymcawkawks in every movie for the next 10 years? I don't think you can make a career out of it. Esp when you get too old for teen movies. It's not like playing the hero/pretty girl or something when you can transition into the older goodlooking man or cougar lady, I really don't know where you can go with awks. But I still love him.

The Ugly: Juno's van. The chemist, aka Dwight from the Office making a cameo.

Yay or Nay? Yay. Definately yay. Although it's a little bit of a chick flick in disguise. And obvi if you are on a first date with a boy, it might not be the best thing seeing as she gets pregnant and that might kill the mood. But, Nick Wong: Definately. Adelle: Yes but you'll freak out at some points. Su: Probs.

PS Can someone please teach me how to post a youtube video????

No comments:

 

free hit counter
Crutchfield Electronics