Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Someone Really Wants My Money

I got 2 money scams (at least... I hope they're scams...) in my Hotmail today, and I thought I'd share, because they brought me great amusement. Particularly number 2.

One - Abby Bank (from: no-reply@abbey.co.uk)

During our regularly scheduled maintenance and verification of our Database, we have detected a slight error in your account information.

This might be due to either of the following reasons:

  • A recent change in your personal information (i.e.change of Email address).
  • Submiting invalid information during the initial sign up process.
  • An inability to accurately verify your selected option of payment due to an internal error within our processors.

Please verify your informations by log on your account :

https://onlineaccounts.abbeynational.co.uk/CentralLogon/Logon?action=prepare

If your account information is not updated, your ability to access your account will become restricted.

Thank you

Fraud Prevention Unit
Legal Advisor

The Abbey Bank Group

Okay, the only account I have with Abbey National is from when I was like 3 years old way back before the internet was around and certainly before I was old enough to fill in an email ad with my application.

Whatever, that was pretty run of the mill. Here's the really good one:

Two - From an old ACJC classmate.

Subject: I Need Your Urgentely Help (Please Respond Immediately)‏

Hello Dear,
I am in a hurry writing this mail. I had a trip to West
Africa Nigeria visiting the tinapa opening ceremony.
Unfortunately for me all my money got stolen at the hotel
where i lodged from the attack of some armed robbers and
since then i have been without any money i am even owing
the hotel here,So i have only access to emails,my mobile
phone can't work here so i didn't bring it along. Please
can you lend me $1,000 so i can return back and settle
the hotel bills i would return it back to you as soon as
i get home.
I am so confused right now because i am in serious trouble
overhere .You can have the money sent to me through my
informations via Western Union.
Receivers Name-- Michelle Inami
Receivers Address---120 campos Street Lagos Island,Lagos
23401,Nigeria
Mtcn NUM 10 digit that would be given to you at the Western
Union Money Outlet--?
Text Question--who sent money
Text Answer--you
Amount Sent--?
Please dont forget to attach photocopy of the Scan Receipt
in which you use in sending the Money at the western
Union Outlet .
Hope to hear from you.
Thanks and God bless

This would be really tragic if it were true, and props to them, because MichIm would totz say 'hello dear' and also because it came from her real email add.

But, no dice.

First off, I would like to think anyone in AC arts would know that 'I need your urgently help' makes absolutely no sense. Second, we weren't that close anyway, certainly not close enough that she would email me for a thousand dollars. I'm pretty sure she'd call her parents. Either way, I don't have $1000, so fail fail fail.

Well, I hope you enjoyed that. Here's celebrating my 201th post. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

try this for laughs......mail scammer convinced to carve replica keyboard:

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/06/28/nigerian-letter-scam.html

 

free hit counter
Crutchfield Electronics