Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Mac-n-cheese-osti?

It's getting cold her in Sunny California, so here's a carbo-loading comfort food that I made the other day... dedicated to Su and Adelle, and the good ol' days in Marche.

Kraft macaroni and cheese may be a classic, but I'm finding it increasingly texture/taste less. On the other hand, I have about 55 thousand boxes (er, not really that many) left over from my freshman year dining dollars. I made up a box the other day, it was orrite but nothing amazing. Half went in the fridge as leftovers. Inspired by Paula Deen, The Cheesecake Cafe, Sonic and not wanting to be fat enough to deep fry it, I would like to introduce:

The Mac-n-Cheese-Osti!

To do it as I did it, You need:
A box of macaroni and cheese
Garlic Powder
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
Parmesan cheese (the powdery kind you put on pizza not the grated kind)

Make up the macaroni and cheese, stirring in some salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. I had mine in the fridge, so it dries up a bit, but I don't think you need to.

Put a thin layer of oil in a pan, on med heat. Put a thin layer of parmesan on the pan. Chuck the mac n cheese in. Squash it down with a spatula into a sort of pancake. Sprinkle parmesan on this side too. Cook for about 4 min (depending on the size of the pan, how much mac n cheese there is...) then flip and do the same on the other side. (Here's a flipping tip: It's frugging hard to flip mac n cheese, so you can slide it on a plate then put the pan over it to cover the uncooked side and flip it then... no fancy pancake moves needed.)

Serve with marinara sauce.

BONUS FEATURE!!

Because I love you all so much, here's something I thought of AFTER I had made mine. And you really only need soem grated cheese, I'd say cheddar or mozerella. This is for those who love cheese.

Put only half the mac n cheese down, squash into pancake like I said before. Sprinkle with grated cheese, then put the rest of the mac n cheese over it and squash that bit down too. Continue as you would have.

TADA! Theoretically, you should get a macncheeseosti that oozes with melted cheese when you cut into it.

No comments:

 

free hit counter
Crutchfield Electronics