Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Perfect Paella.... almost


Version 2.0 was considerably better than my first attempt -- I got the colour down and everything. :) Grin grin.

So for this one, I used:

1 boneless chicken thigh
1 carton of chicken stock (I have NO idea what the qty is on this, but it's the blue and white box)
1 can tomatoes
1 yellow pepper (in inch strips)
1 onion (diced)
1/2 bunch asparagus (chopped into inch long peices)
2 cups rice

Paprika
Salt/Pepper
Olive Oil
Yellow food colouring (or saffron, if you're classy)

Lemon

Hokay, so. Let me try and remember what I did. Marinate the chicken in some paprika, salt pepper and olive oil. Leave it for a couple of hours.

Coat the bottom of the pan in olive oil on med heat and throw in the onion and bell peppers. Salt and pepper. Let them sweat til they're tender.
Cube the chicken and dredge in flour. Push the onions to one side of the pan and brown the chicken on the other. (That's really just for convenience...) When browned, stir it all together. Add the can of tomatoes and a tsp of paprika. Add half the chicken stock plus about a tea spoon of yellow food colouring and stir it all together. Throw on the rest of the stock. Let simmer for 8 min ish. (While simmering, preheat the oven to 350 F).

Turn off the stove and cover the pan with foil (I didn't do this and as a result my rice got all not cooked on the top). If the rice is already at the top of the chicken stock, add a little more, or else water is fine too. Stick it in the oven for 15 minutes.

Tada! ( I hope)

Serve with lemon wedges.

No comments:

 

free hit counter
Crutchfield Electronics