Monday, June 2, 2008

Bacon, Leek & Mushroom Alfredo

I've noticed in good food blogs/books, they always start with a little story or anecdote or something about how the dish came to being.

WELL. I was in the supermarket, and noticed leeks seemed to be in season, or at least were relatively cheap and looking fresher than usual. So I bought them.

Time for some fun facts about leeks? They're related to onions, which obviously makes them great. Because they lower blood pressure and some other shizz that old people care about. They're a mild diuretic (according to French Women Don't Get Fat) , which means they make you pee and lose water weight. And best best best of all: They are a Welsh national symbol, like the daffodil!

Anyway, my original intention was to use them for a leek soup, as seen in above mentioned book, but because I am a fatty, I decided to use them for evil instead, or at least to make evil pretend to be healthy at least a little.

I bought mushrooms because I missed the neighbour-boy, aren't I sentimental? He is disgusting and eats them raw.

(I usually claim to despise mushrooms because they remind me of feet, or more specifically, athlete's foot, but actually that's only the long skinny chinese-soup ones. Actually, I think it's just because they are both forms of fungus. While on fungus, be sure to look up pictures of nail fungus, it will make you lose your lunch.)

Anyway, I don't like toooo many mushrooms, and there are other things I prefer over mushrooms, so it's easier just to say I don't like them. But like I said, I was feeling sentimental, so I had a pack.

Uh, from baking, I always seem to have heavy cream in the fridge, and bacon is awesome.

So, check it out, my own recipe (well, various recipes combined and tweaked) AND my own pic!



Ingredients:
(serves 2-4, depending on how fat you are)

1/2 lb linguine (half a pack)
10 strips of streaky bacon cut into half-inch pieces
2 leek stems cut into half-inch thick rounds
1 package (eff if I know how much this was) of sliced button mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbs butter
2 tbs olive oil
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1 cup grated parmasean
1/2 tbs chili flakes (optional I guess...)
1 tbs parsley
Salt and pepper

Boil a pot of water for the pasta.

Heat butter and olive oil in pan, combining. Fry bacon pieces, keeping them in a thin layer so that they crisp. (You might have to do this in 2 batches, or settle for soggy bacon). Set bacon aside. Leave fatty fats in the pan. Add chili flakes, stir. (The oil will become kind of orange)

You can start cooking the pasta now, probably. Cook as package instructs, til al-dente. Mine was 9 min, but if yours is less don't start yet!

Put the leeks in the oil, then cover the pan. Do this for about minute on each side (til tender), then add the mushrooms. Put the garlic and most of the parsley in too (but leave some for pretty garnishing). Stir, but try not to eff up the leeks. When the mushrooms are reasonably cooked (probably about a minute and a half? Maybe 2?) add the heavy cream. Season.

Let the mixture simmer, stirring (don't let it boil! I don't know why, but I hear that can eff you up.) Hopefully the pasta is done now. Drain that. Add 1/2 a cup of parmasean to the sauce, and stir, which should thicken it considerably. Turn off the heat, stir the pasta and most of the bacon in.

Serve, sprinkle with remaining cheese or even more because I know the people that read this are fatties that love cheese for the most part (or maybe I'm just thinking of me?) and garnish with remaining parsley and bacon.

Great.

No comments:

 

free hit counter
Crutchfield Electronics