Monday, June 16, 2008

Experimental Baking

In an attempt to use up all the baking ingredients in our apt before we have to move out, I am making shortbread cookies with random flavours.


The base is this recipe. Plus half a tsp of vanilla essence, because I can't not add that. Also, not land-o-lakes butter, they should just be grateful I'm using butter at all and not that $0.50 for 4 sticks of fake butter.

I've done this before, when I went to visit NB, so I'd have something to bring his parents without having to spend any money. I'm pretty ghetto like that. That's not exactly the same base I used before, but I couldn't find the one I used. As a filling (is that the right term?) I threw in some leftover chopped walnuts and a mixture of chopped up semi-sweet baking chocolate and some dark chocolate chips. Then because I couldn't find a brown bag to make it look all cute and home made, I wrapped them in tin foil (to stop the paper bag from getting oil blotches) and then in a home-made paper bag from some construction paper. Hey, you can't say I'm not resourceful.

Anyway, tonight I'm doing 2 batches:

One batch has the rind + juice of a slightly depressed lemon (depressed because it wasn't used in an alcoholic bevvy as intented, I'm sure.) and also an extra 1/4 cup of flour to make it not-so watery.

The other batch has a chopped up mixture of 10 cocktail cherries and a handful of pecans. I think pistachios are usually what is used with them, but I didn't have a giant bag of them on hand.

Anyhoo, I just put them in the fridge for their 1h of sitting, so we'll see how they turn out later. Maybe even with pics, if I'm feeling fancy.

No comments:

 

free hit counter
Crutchfield Electronics